My third glass class was all about inclusions. Again, my favorites are this top group. The piece on the top left was my attempt to recreate a necklace that I love. It looks pretty close to the original. I can’t wait to mount that piece and wear it. The piece on the bottom right is this week’s leaf motif. The leaf is copper foil that I cut out and drew vines. I really like this one as well. I was excited to use the copper wire, because I have done a lot of wire manipulation in the past. I thought this might be a great avenue for me to merge the wire manipulation and glass. Well, I wasn’t too impressed with out they turned out. I’m not giving up all hope, but might venture out into other possibilities.
Since I was trying to focus on the inclusions, I worked with a lot of clear glass. Here you can see copper foil, copper wire, and copper mesh. The bottom two are good examples of glass shifting in the kiln. When I placed them in the kiln, they were perfectly lined up. Now they are slip sliding away.
Here I used silver foil. I like the look of these, but the squares shift and spread in the kiln, so it’s not as geometrically perfect as I would prefer. It’s still fun to see how things turn out. The bottom right is clear glass that I put a fern in between. You can barely seen the skeleton of the fern. The fern burned out in the kiln. I put the purple glass underneath to help show the fern.
Here is more wire manipulation. This piece is a bit big, so it will most likely become a Christmas ornament.