Musicfest Northwest – Day 1

Posted on Sep 12, 2011



Another year of Musicfest Northwest has come and gone.  I spent last Wednesday through Saturday attending concerts at different venues across town.  I was planning on a one post re-cap, but I'm going to break it out into days because I experienced too much fun stuff to cram it into a single post. 

I made a conscious decision to only use my iphone for pictures.  My focus was to have a great experience and to get lost in the music.  I also didn't want to worry about spilled beer or any other million things that spells disaster for a camera. Besides, I can always live vicariously through Inger Klekacz, a good friend, who was shooting the festival for local publications.  Check out her Flickr set.  She is amazing.  



On Wednesday, our first day, we (my husband, our good friend and I) headed up to the Crystal Ballroom.  We arrived before the doors opened at 8pm and stood in line in the heat.  Portland was sweltering that week and the day's high was 95 degrees.  Please note that the week before, we were having highs in the low 70's.  The temperature in the ballroom must have been well over 90 degrees.  That place was a furnace! I had never experienced anything like it. Luckily, we were able to get seats in the balcony (where it was even hotter), so we didn't have to stand through the first two acts.  Mini Mansions opened the night.  I really enjoyed them.  Their cover of Heart of Glass (video above) was the highlight of their set.




Eleanor Friedberger was the middle act.  I was really looking forward to seeing her because I'm a big fan of Fiery Furnaces.  I must admit I didn't get too into her solo stuff.  I wanted songs that were a bit weirder which she does so very well.  




For The Kills, we ventured down into the mob.  The place was packed and the crowd was excited.  Allison Mosshart greeted the screaming crowd by saying "Portland, we are going to sweat together tonight".  Boy was she right. Besides the heat, it was such an energetic intense show.  I loved jumping up and down on the Crystal's wooden floating ballroom.  It was crazy hard to get any picture in focus since that floor was moving all over the place. We left that night around 1:30am so completely drenched in sweat, but on a total high.  It was really a great night.  Although getting up at 6am for work the next day was pretty darn painful.


1 Comment

  1. Yeah maybe next year take the week off! I can get over my cousin the Rock Star! I’m in awe that you went to WORK during this madness! Eek!

    Post a Reply

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>