One of the most challenging things I made for my cousin's wedding was this wreath. It started as kind of an offhand thing that I thought would look pretty somewhere. I was so in love with this paper flower wreath that I really wanted to make one for the wedding.
This was originally going to hang where the food was being serviced at the reception. My cousin gave me measurements beforehand. When I was able to look at the reception space the Sunday before the wedding, the spot intended for this wreath was not flat and wouldn't work at all.
To make matters worse, I had shipped the wreath to my cousin ahead of time and it showed up completely smashed and flat. I was so disheartened that I was about ready to just nix the whole thing.
Luckily my cousin had the brilliant idea to use the wreath during the ceremony for the unity candle. I had no idea they were even going to have a unity candle when I made the wreath. So I pulled all of the flowers off of the wreath, fluffed them and put it all back together. It wasn't that hard to do and it almost looked as good as new.
We also used the wreath after the ceremony was over to dress up the plain white wall behind the head table. The bare white wall wasn't something we had planned on either. Having the wreath serve double duty and to solve two problems was more than I could have hoped for. Suddenly this off hand project became extremely important. I'm so happy that I made it.
I used mostly pom-pom flowers for the majority of the wreath. At last count there were well over 200 pom-pom flowers on this 18 inch wreath. To make the wreath have more contrast, I inserted some of the early flowers I had made. These were practice flowers to get a better sense of how to make flowers since this was all new to me.
I used the paper wreath tutorial and cross referenced it with a few others tutorials I found on-line to make these flowers. It definitely takes practice and many, many attempts before they start turning out to look like real flowers. I'm glad I was able to put those practice flowers to use in this wreath. All in all, this was a project that was meant to be – even if I didn't think so at the time.